Friday 17 September 2010

From Greece. WITH LOVE part two..

On the Monday morning, Frida woke me by shining her phone in my face and whispering "It is time for you to get up now"..So I did..it wasnt too difficult since we were continuing our adventure. Yet again we got on the bus and drove through a still dark Athens to the harbour where we got on the boat and settled in the firstclass area where most of us fell asleep. There wasnt much to do so we just hung out in the seating area and out on deck. After six hours we finally arrived at Naxos.



The hotel we stayed in was lovely. The owners truly know what hospitality means. There was nothing that was too much for them, or they couldnt sort out for us. I recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in a friendly authentic Greek hotel. Check out their website: www.prokopis.com.



Lina unfortunately had to go back to Sweden, so me and Frida shared a room for the week. I was a bit worried that she would ask to change rooms, since I occasionally "growl" in my sleep. Its not quite a snore, but neither is it just humming.. But I think I was very quiet for ten days, or Frida slept so deeply that she didnt hear me?
The days at Agios Prokopios (the name of the hotel and the beach) was spent relaxing in the sand, cooling off in the sea, eating lunch and sleeping in a sunlounger. The evenings was just as lovely, rinsing the salt and sand off in the shower, putting on a skirt and a vest, some lipgloss and head out for dinner or just a picnic by the pool. The first two days we gathered to get to know one and other a bit more, sharing wine, bread, cheese, nuts and sweets. It was a little bit of magic sitting there, getting to know new people, listening to their lifestories (one of my favourite things) and enjoying just being. Alive. Because I did.




Sandra and Andreas got engaged in Athens.

On the Wednesday night most of us caught the bus to Chora, the main town of Naxos. We watched the sunset from a cliff with a monument. I cant remember the exact history, but I can recall someone saying that it was built a thousand years before Acropolis, and the same person saying "Five thousand years of history, you cant expect us to remember all of it". We then wandered through the town, snapping photos like Japanese tourists, whilst deciding where we should eat.







We settled for a small restaurant called MezeMeze, where we ordered lots of small dishes which we shared between us, tasting little bits of lots of different foods. I tasted a delicious chicken cooked in curry and lemon. The pieces were so tender and litterally fell apart in my mouth. Yum!

The next day we rented quadbikes and drove around the island. It was the coolest thing I have ever done I think. Which might just prove what a nerd I am?
I have never driven even a moped, so taking charge of a quadbike was so exciting. We drove in a long caravan, G's cousin calling us the "Naxos army"



It was hot, dusty and sweaty, so after lunch we stopped by a small beach for a cooling dip in the sea, a cigarette and a cold drink. Again it hit me how alive I felt and how much I was enjoying myself. We carried on up and down the mountains, cerpentineroads made it difficult to drive fast, so we could really enjoy the scenery. Although I kept my eyes firmly on the road most of the time.
We arrived back at the hotel by ten o'clock, I showered the dust and sand off me and crashed into bed.
The next day it was back to the beach, the sand and the sunloungers and topping up my tan. I actually tanned this holiday, normally I burn myself and look like a lobster before going back to being white.
But this week I have got a healthy, glowing light brown colour to my skin.
I believe spending time doing nothing is something we all need from time to time. Some people need it more than others, but spending a few days just relaxing, reading, listening to music or watching dvds is like chicken soup for the soul.
The best way to recharge your batteries. I always take a few books with me to read whilst on holiday, this time I only read half of one of them. I guess because I was busy talking to my friends, I didnt have much time to really get into a book.
One night when I was just watching the world go by after having dinner with the great people that was on this trip with me, I tried to decide what has been the best part of the journey. But I couldnt pick one thing that was better than all the rest. But one thing that feels extra special, is that I had the oportunity to spend quality time with good friends. Getting to know them more and on a different level, without the stress of work, bills and everyday life. It felt like we were twentyone again without a care in the world.
I also feel very lucky to have made new friendships, I truly hope that we will stay in touch and get to know each other more.



Friends

The night before we were due to travel back we all gathered on a beach under a tree to have a last meal together. It was a beautiful evening watching the sun go down, eating more lovely greek food with lovely friends.





MARRIED

I feel maybe it is time for me to stop saying "lovely, fantastic, amazing friends" I guess it might be getting on peoples nerves. But it is true, I have amazing lovely people in my life. I do feel fortunate that they want to be my friends. But ok, enough now.
I am home again, C and G arrived this afternoon, my tan is fading rapidly, but the fire is still burning in my belly. Where do I go from here? And for how long?



So. What now?

No comments:

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share