Saturday 24 July 2010

Life through different eyes

One of my closest, most favourite friends is not very well at the moment. She needs oxygen to help her with her breathing. I wont go into details, because as I said in a previous blogpost I wont use this space to hang out other people.

Tonight she has been here, we ate our favourite meal, chickensalad, and then chatted and laughed like we always do. We have known each other for eighteen years and I dont think I can remember what my life was like before I met her on my first day in college.

She is so brave and I admire her courage of just facing her fears head on.
After dinner we decided to go for a drive, and all of a sudden she says "I need to go to the square, just to feel the atmosphere"
So we park the car and she takes my hand for support and we walk.
Through the square, amongst all the people who are out celebrating the weekend and the start or end of their holiday.
And I see the world through different eyes, and to be honest, not the best eyes.

People look at us, some even stare.
I dont know if it because my friend has a small plastic tube across her face, or if it is because we are two women holding hands, and it is frowned upon in these bars. I even see some people nudge their friends, nodding our way so their friends turn and look at us.
It bothered me in a way, but on the other hand I didnt care at all, I just thought that people will actually stare at you almost with their mouths open, just because you dont "fit the norm"
Or they were staring at us because it has been my laundryday, so I was wearing a weird vest and dirty jeans and neither of us had any makeup on..

But the more I think about it, the more I start to wonder about divides. If I compare the different square I was at last night, where there is a festival this weekend. Sofas had been dragged out to the streets, everyone was sitting on blankets or cushions, drinking wine, listening to good music and just relaxing. Or dancing, letting their bodies move freely to the beat of the music, looking like they didnt have a care in the world.
It was just a strong feeling of happiness in the air, whereas tonight I felt a bit out of place and not really in the league to hang with the beautiful people.
But it is ok, I dont care. Not tonight anyway.

Check out this live version of 30 seconds to Mars, with the gorgeous Jared Leto as front singer. He is so carismatic! And I love this song.
Sorry that the sound quality isnt great, but I couldnt embed the original video unfortunately.
Hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share