Friday 20 November 2009

The brightest star in the sky



As you probably know by now I love to read. I'd like to say that my favourite type of books are old, hardbacked, inbound, preferably dusty works by Charles Dickens, Mark Twain or some other "classic". But no, I will confess that I am more shallow than that...I love a paperback, with a colourful cover and maybe even a little bit of glitter carefully sprinkled at places.
My book at the moment is "The brightest star in the sky" by Marian Keyes. She writes excellent fiction, some of her other novels are: "Lucy Sullivan is getting married" "Watermelon" and "Last chance saloon".

I wont talk very much about what the book is all about, you have to read it yourselves, it is definately worth to be read. What I want to talk about is how you can sometimes tell what accent a book is written in. Marian Keys is Irish and her books always have an Irish "twang" that seeps through even when you - like me - never mastered the magical Irish accent (oh how I love it).

There is a part where Lydia is trying to fend off an admirer (which she doesnt suceed with and they end up on a date) and Marian writes: "Her hair! Her bloody needy hair-she should have just got out of the car and rung the doorbell." I have been pondering on this, and I still haven't got a clue about what that expression "Her hair" means....But it made laugh so I might have to use it myself sometime.
There is another part that made me laugh out loud when I read it. Whilst lying in bed on my own... Its not a typical Irish catchphrase, it is just excellent, hear this: "Danno grabbed a thick black marker and began inhaling it as discretely as possible, to ready himself at the drama ahead"

Isn't it just the funniest thing you have ever read??
I wish I had come up with that line, now I cant use it...And I really want to write a piece based on that line.
But now I cant, especially since I have written about it here...so now I cant even sneak it in somewhere, because someone will pick me up on it.

I am hoping to finish the book today. All I have planned is sorting out my christmas decorations at my parents house. I know my mother will say that I have far too many decorations for my little flat. Which in fact is true, but I am planning on turning my abode into a santas grotto.
I might however leave some of the tree decs at their house....they haven't bought any new christmasballs since I was a child and they still put out the crackers I made in nursery school with sugar cubes in. So I think a serious makeover is in place. Looks like I will have a fairly busy weekend ahead of me.
I hope you will have a great time too.

No comments:

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share