Tuesday 12 May 2009

Curiosity? or just nosey?

I have never been ashamed of the fact that i am interested in other peoples lives, and I want to know everything that they have experienced and battled with, both good and bad.
I have also always said that I am just curious about a lot of things and if you don't ask questions, you will never find things out...

It has however been pointed out to me that some people might think that I am just plain nosey, and stick my nose in where it doesn't belong, which has never been my intention, I don't want to know that people are not well or going through a rough time, just so that i can feel better about myself.
But with time, I have become better with biting my tongue and not always ask "What are you talking about?" When I see people talking or if I happen to walk in on a conversation and they stop talking.
When I think about it now, I realise I used to have an absolute fear of people talking about me and slagging me off behind my back, and always used to think that if I walked in on a conversation it was always me who was the topic...
Also with age I have come to realise that I am not THAT interesting that people can not stop talking about me..

But since I have now started working at a new place again, I'm finding that I want to ask "Why have you been signed off sick for over a year??"
"Whats wrong with you??"
"Why are you only working 50%??"
and the last but probably most important: "WHY oh WHY are you so damn lazy????"

I have now worked 2 shifts with a woman who delegates duties this way:
"If you want to, you can clean the toilets"
"????"
No I don't really want to clean the toilets, but I will do it, since it has to be done....it is part of the clients program so I will obviously help and support.
But when I asked where the gloves are kept she looked at me with empty eyes and asked what I needed gloves for?
I explained that I wouldn't clean a toilet without gloves, to which she replied that she never wears gloves, "I can't feel what I'm doing"...
......
Well....that is your choice love...I don't want some poo disease so I'm wearing gloves! End of discussion.
She then carried on delegating:
"If you want to, you can go to the shop, so can I stay here"
OK, you put your feet up and I'll do the shopping....
As soon as i came back, she said she was just exhausted and went home an hour early...

So I am now very curious to know why she has been off work for so long?
Gone into a wall? (that is a Swedish expression for when someone is mentally exhausted and can't work anymore. At least i think that is what it means)
I'm not used to employers being nice and understanding like that, in England they practise "tough love" and you get told to "get a grip of yourself", and most people do, since you don't get sick pay....
I'm working with this lady tomorrow night as well, and i realise that I'm not in the slightest curious to know her life story, I bet it is boring and silly and I might just die of boredom.
If I haven't written anymore posts by Sunday you know why...

2 comments:

Susanne Waldau - te Brake said...

haha! That is so Swedish. Yeah I heard that one before "walking into a wall". Like what, you didn't see what was in front of you? I guess it's the equivalent of a slow moving train crash.

Mia said...

Another good one is:"My body said enough!" haha

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share