Tuesday 2 June 2009

Graduates



It's that time of the year again, graduation times.
This is when you graduate from college and the world is at your feet, you know (at least you should have the feeling..)that you have your whole life a head of you and now is the time to have some serious fun.
I have been up in town during the day and I met some of the graduates walking around, singing, blowing in whistles and drinking champagne.
The air is tingling with excitement and anticipation and I remember my own graduation.

It was a great day, we started with champagne breakfast in our teachers garden, I was very excited and felt grown up with the fact that I was drinking champagne and my parents knew about it.
I went home to get dressed and ready and then met up with all of my classmates at school.
It was raining when we had our photos taken so we had to be indoors which was a shame since the photos are tradittionally taken outdoors.
While waiting for the photographer and for the speeches we were all drinking champagne in the classroom.

The deputy principal held a speech about our future and how we should enjoy today and tonight.
I know she said a lot more, but I cant remember exactly what, the truth be told I had probably forgotten as soon as those doors opened and we ran out on the stage and sang the graduation song.
The night was spent dancing in a nightclub I had never been to before, I thought it was the coolest place ever!
I spent the majority of the night snogging a boy in a dark corner, who walked me home in the early morning of the next day.

When I see all the boys and girls, dressed all in white (the girls anyway) with their graduation hats and flowers around their necks, I wonder if they know how quick time passes, I realise this makes me sound like a very old lady, but I have to wonder.
I graduated 15 years ago, when the graduates of today were between 3 and 5 yeas old.
That day (06.06.1994) was the happiest day of my life, I hope they all cherish today, it is over before you know it.
Most people my age would probably say that their happiest day was the day they got married or when their children were born...but...I am still clinging on to my graduation day.

I am a little bit jealous of them, I would love to have that feeling in my tummy again, the feeling that "This is when everything starts, today is the first day, of the rest of my life"
I would have done SOME things differently, but the majority of my life I wouldn't change.
That is one thing that I have stuck to, "Its better to regret having done things, than regret not having done it"

No comments:

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share