Thursday 19 March 2009

Me, a union rep?

Ive just come off the phone to my mother.
I have ranted and raved and told her I am developing a stomach ulcer from the amount of stress I'm under.
Work is especially stressful, which is annoying, because I only have one more week to work and in 4 weeks I am moving out of the country.
So really I should just chill out and try to enjoy the last days I have with the great colleagues and clients I work with.

But a couple of days ago I exploded at one of the managers, not my manager, I work for an agency so my manager sits in an office and pretends to be busy caring about our clients, even though she has never actually worked in a care home, or residential setting or ever actually cared for someone (in a professional manner I mean by that, I'm sure she loves her family very much)

The manager I exploded at was about to go home and leave me and one other member of staff to work with 5 clients.
I told him that if he didn't get another member of staff I would go home!
And I would report him to the hospital board, and if that didn't work I have no problem going to the papers because I have absolutely no loyalty to him or the place he is trying to run as a business.
Within 5 minutes there was another member of staff in the unit.

Only when I finished ranting, and drew my breath again I realised how loudly I had been speaking and how quiet my mother had become.
"Hello? Mum? You still there?" I asked into the phone
"Yes love I'm still here, I was just thinking that maybe you should become a union rep when you get back here?
You are so passionate about things and a little bit scary when you start ranting.
People will listen to you and you will probably get what you want."

Really?
I will get what I want?
Anything?
Hmmm, I might just think about that...

I am looking forward to a new challenge, a new job, a new flat, and a new life...
Maybe I will be a union rep?
And fight for the workers rights?
That would be cool.

1 comment:

Kirstie said...

You can be my rep any day hun! Go and yell at bk for me. hehe x

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share