Friday 13 February 2009

Kids say (and do) the funniest things

Earlier this morning I talked to my good friend Sally, I called her up for some advice on the dilemma I'm in at the moment and which is making my poor head spin so much I'm scared it might actually spin off my neck soon.

As always I got some sound advice, she is very wise my Sally and if we were Indians she would have been our tribes "wise woman".

Sally's four children are my god children, or OFFICIALLY only one of them - Brendan- is my god son, but I'm very close to them all and I adore them like they were my own.
I have been there trough the pregnancies apart from the oldest - Cameron - who was 11 months old when I met him the first time, and Ive watched them grow into individuals in their own right.
So today Sally tells me about the past week and what has happened in their household.
They woke up on Monday morning to a white world.
About a foot of snow had fallen over night and all the schools were closed, so they had a lovely day playing in the garden making a snow fort etc etc
The next day the world wasn't white any more but more brown/black from all the fumes from the cars.
Sally had said to Bronwen (their daughter and second eldest child)
"I hate it when the snow goes black like this"
To this Bronwen had replied "Yes I suppose you didn't have it like this when you went to school mummy, because you went to school in a wagon didn't you?"
Its funny how children think that because you are an adult you must be at least 100 years old, or as in Sally's case 600 and living in the little house on the prairies....

She then told me that Brendan (who is 7!!!!!) has a girlfriend.. who he is kissing..
Well that didn't rally chock me, i was kissing boys when I was 7...behind the bike shed (cliche or what?)
But today he had asked Sally to go Tesco and buy: A card, a box of chocolates, a BIG cuddly teddy bear AND a heart shaped balloon so that he could give it to her.
I mean the boy has style, he knows what valentine is all about, I'm very proud of him.

So what happened to darling Cameron then?
Well he has a crush on a girl called Katie apparently and have been working up the courage to ask her out all week. So yesterday he thought it perfect since next week is half term and they can meet up and go swimming or something.
So he started off with asking her "for a quick word"in private, but just as he was about to say something another class spilled out from the classroom and actually knocked them to the floor, so that was obviously not a good timing.
A bit later he asked her again but all her girlfriends came round the corner and dragged her with them so again he missed his chance (bless him)
Obviously by the end of the day poor Cam was feeling a bit desperate so he stood up and just blurted out "Katie will you go out with me?" in front of some other children in the school.
Unfortunately Katie didn't her him...but ANOTHER girl who is obviously also called Katie stands up and says "I don't know who you are but yeah OK ill go out with you"
Isn't that classic film material?
So Cameron now has to break up with a girl he doesn't know, because she was desperate (she must have been right? otherwise you don't agree to a date with someone you don't know do you?)
I admire Cameron though, I didn't have the courage to ask anyone out when I was 12 and i still haven't now, when I'm 33.
My friends have told me my whole life "Just do it, what is the worse that can happen?"
Well now let me see...1) He could hear me, and laugh!!
2) I could die! I could just drop down dead!
So there, that's why I don't ask men out (and POSSIBLY why I'm still single..)

No comments:

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share