Saturday 14 February 2009

Valentines day...

With today being the most romantic day of the year I decided to dissect and get to the bottom with where this horrendous day actually stems from?
So I googled it and this is what came up on my screen:

The day was originally a pagan festival that was renamed after two Early Christian martyrs named Valentine. The day became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished.


Pagan??
I would never have associated Pagans with Valentine's day...

So I then googled "St Valentine" and something completely different popped up on my screen...

There are varying opinions as to the origin of Valentine's Day. Some experts state that it originated from St. Valentine, a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity. He died on February 14, 269 A.D., the same day that had been devoted to love lotteries. Legend also says that St. Valentine left a farewell note for the jailer's daughter, who had become his friend, and signed it "From Your Valentine". Other aspects of the story say that Saint Valentine served as a priest at the temple during the reign of Emperor Claudius. Claudius then had Valentine jailed for defying him. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius set aside February 14 to honour St. Valentine.

So...?
What to believe?
I think I will believe that it is a crap day when you are single and there are no red/pink envelopes posted through my letterbox.
If you are in a relationship its a day with extremely high expectations on you to "prove" how much you love your partner.
It doesn't seem to matter that the day before he/she picked up your dry cleaning, cooked the most amazing duck a l'orange, had cleaned the house and was standing at the ready with a glass of wine as you come through the door prepared to rub your tired, aching feet....
On Valentines day he fell asleep on the sofa!!!
Totally unacceptable...!
Why does it matter?

So what am I doing tonight?
I'm tucked up in bed, with a seriously scary film to watch and I'm boycotting St Valentines.

Hope the rest of you are having a lovely fuzzy day

No comments:

Followers

AddThis

Bookmark and Share